MEXICAN CHORIZO TACOS
Unlike its cured Spanish cousin, Mexican chorizo is a spiced pork sausage meat that must be cooked before eating. We have used our classic Herdez Mexico City Taco Kit to create an unbeatable combination of smoky sausage meat, molten cheese, sliced avocado and cooling sour cream all wrapped up in one incredible taco… If you have time, marinate the sausage meat in the fridge for 12-24 hours to further enhance the flavours.
- 1 Herdez Mexico City Taco Kit
For the chorizo sausage meat:
- 450g sausage meat (or remove the skins from good quality plain pork sausages)
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp tomato puree (optional)
- 1 tbs garlic purée (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the tacos:
- 1 avocado
- 200ml reduced-fat sour cream
- 100g grated Oaxaca or Mozzarella cheese (see Tip)
- In a large bowl, mix together the sausage meat, paprika, tomato puree, 3 tsp Herdez Classic Tacos Seasoning, garlic purée, oregano and red wine vinegar until all the flavourings are evenly distributed throughout the meat. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- To make the tacos: in a medium-sized frying pan set over a medium heat, fry the marinated chorizo sausage meat for about 5-10 minutes or until starting to crisp - use a spatula to break up any lumps to ensure it renders evenly. Continue to cook for 10-15 minutes. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, prepare the avocado into small chunks and toast the Tacos according to packet instructions.
- Add a generous spoonful of sour cream to the centre of a taco, spoon over the warm chorizo sausage meat, top with slices of avocado and grated cheese. Drizzle with Herdez Salsa Casera, wrap and enjoy!
Herdez Tip - although not traditionally Mexican, shredded mozzarella creates a deliciously gooey layer to the filling.