Tinga is a popular Mexican dish made with shredded chicken in a rich red adobo sauce. We have used our smoky chipotle Herdez Barbacoa Seasoning to recreate a simple version of this iconic favourite…
- 600g skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 litre water
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 6 large cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp oil
- 10 tomatoes, diced, core removed
- 1 sachet Herdez Barbacoa Seasoning, to taste
- 1 lime
- Freshly chopped coriander
- Place the chicken thighs into a large saucepan, add the water and half of the sliced onions and garlic. Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the stock and shred using 2 forks. Strain into a jug, reserving the onions and garlic.
- Set a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the oil, remaining sliced onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until softened.
- Add the tomatoes, shredded chicken, reserved onions and garlic (from the stock) and half of the chicken stock (reserve the remaining stock for another recipe) and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the sauce is slightly reduced and a vivid red colour. Season with Herdez Barbacoa Seasoning and lime zest and juice, to taste. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve (see Tip).
Herdez Tip - serve with Mexican rice or nachos, or in a toasted taco, with sliced avocado or guacamole, sour cream and refried beans for a delicious Mexican-inspired meal.