Try this delicious version of the classic Mexican Asada - given a smoky twist with our spiced chipotle, black pepper and allspice Herdez Barbacoa Seasoning.
- 1 sachet Herdez Barbacoa Seasoning
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 tbs coriander, freshly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 1 tbs oil
- Salt, to taste
- 4 Bavette or Sirloin steaks (around 160-200g each)
- In a bowl, mix together ½ the Herdez Barbacoa Seasoning with the lime zest and juice, brown sugar, coriander, crushed garlic, oil and salt, to taste. Pour into a shallow dish, add the steaks and turn to coat in the marinade. Cover and marinade in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- Heat a large frying pan over a high heat until hot. Add the oil and fry the steaks (take care not to overcrowd the pan - fry in batches, if you don’t have a large frying pan) for 3-5 minutes on each side until caramelised on the outside and cooked to your preference. Remove from the pan and leave to rest on a plate for 5 minutes.
- Add the marinade and 50ml water to the pan. Bring to the boil to deglaze the pan - use a wooden spoon to loosen any bits stuck to the bottom and stir to combine into a sauce.
- Slice the rested steaks against the grain, season with salt and the remaining Herdez Barbacoa Seasoning, to taste, and serve with the sauce (see Tip).
Herdez Tip - this is delicious served with our Herdez Barbacoa Taco Kit which includes our smoky Barbacoa Seasoning, soft wheat tortillas and our medium-spiced tomato, chilli and coriander Salsa Casera for drizzling.