CHOLULA BRISKET TACO
10s across the board for these brisket tacos. Filled with tender brisket flavoured with Cholula® Original Hot Sauce and spices, fresh pico and your favourite toppings, you really can’t go wrong here.
INGREDIENTS 16 Servings
- 2.5 kilograms beef brisket
- 8 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Schwartz Mild Chilli Powder
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Schwartz Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Schwartz Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Schwartz Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Schwartz Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Schwartz Cumin ground
- 75 ml Cholula® Original Hot Sauce
Pico de Gallo
- 1/2 lime
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 175 ml chopped white onion
- 1 jalpeno pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cholula® Original Hot Sauce
- 16 tortillas
- 2 avocados, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- Mix brown sugar, chili powder, salt, smoked paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, cayenne and cumin in medium bowl. Rub brisket with Original Hot Sauce, then coat with seasoning mixture.
- Preheat smoker to 125ºC according to manufacturer’s directions, using your favourite hardwood, such as mesquite, pecan or hickory wood.
- Place brisket in smoker, fat side up, on grate. Smoke brisket 3 to 4 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 80ºC and a crisp bark (or crust) forms over surface of meat.
- Remove brisket from smoker. Place brisket in centre of large sheet of heavy duty foil and wrap completely. Return wrapped brisket to smoker. Cook at least 2 1/2 hours (up to 4 hours) longer or until meat is tender and internal temperature reaches 95ºC
- Remove brisket from smoker. Open foil slightly to vent; let stand 10 minutes. Close and re-wrap foil. Let brisket stand 30 minutes to allow juices to be reabsorbed.
- For the Pico, mix all ingredients until well blended.
- To assemble tacos, shred brisket with two forks. Layer tortillas with briskey, pico de gallo, and sliced avocado. Drizzle with additional Original Hot Sauce to serve.
Chefs tip: Alternatively brisket can be cooked in the oven at 150C for around 4-5 hours, covering after the first 30 minutes. Ensure cooked through before serving.